Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Just another day

1/26

I’m sick of being on the ocean, I’m not gonna lie. We woke up this morning to pretty big waves, which means annoying rocking, like the kind where you can’t do simple things without falling over or dropping something. We even woke up with things on the ground today- it must have been bad last night. We’re feeling a little nauseous today too which is never fun- I haven’t really felt seasick this whole time but today is not the most settling feeling. I’m ready for land- I hate to say that, because I know I should be appreciate every little detail of it, but I need a little break from the open ocean. Or should I say my body needs a little break, particularly my stomach.

We’ll reach Spain in just two more days! I am so excited- we’ve been learning about Spain, the culture, the history and the sights in Global Studies the past couple of mornings and it just makes it that much more appealing. This trip has felt like we’re just staying on the ocean (and thank God we’re not, right?)- we’ve gotten into a routine of classes and hanging out on the ship and it feels like it should just continue this way. But I think once we reach Spain it’ll change the whole experience of it all. Even with a giant map in our room and our journey mapped with a piece of string, it still doesn’t feel like we’re actually stopping anywhere. The ship is real now, but the traveling isn’t yet. It’ll change everything.

The time change is killing us. We have now had 5 23-hour days- last night being one of them- and it makes it so hard to get some good sleep in. Plus, when the water is TOO rocky, it makes it hard to sleep. Last night I couldn’t sleep and I just assumed that it was because my mind was racing too much or because I had taken a power nap at like 4 but then I overhear people at breakfast talking about how they couldn’t either- it seems that whenever I sleep well, so does everyone else, and when I sleep poorly, so does everyone else. There is something so soothing about the rocking sometimes, but at other times it’s just disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment