Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bye Bye Namibia

2/16

One more day left in Namibia- that thought just makes me really sad. I’m not ready to leave yet. We spent the day in Walvis Bay since we didn’t have much time and went to this great restaurant that was on stilts in the lagoon. So cute. Tim got an ostrich steak and it was so good! Tasted a lot like cow but just knowing it was ostrich was pretty great haha. We just walked around, got more groceries and then hopped back on the ship. It definitely was not enough time in this place, there is so much more I want to do. People rode atv’s and went sand boarding and I would absolutely love to do all that! Plus frequent bathroom breaks would be something nice to not have to deal with on a next trip. I don’t care if you are grossed out by that, I am so open about it now.

I just loved the people. They were all so friendly, every single one of them. Even our cab driver who wasn’t a real cab driver and tried to rip us off. It’s a fascinating place. And there’s so much we didn’t see. I’m really happy we got to see two very opposing sides of it, but there is so much more. The HIV/AIDS rate is at 23% and their unemployment is extremely high too. It is a suffering place and we didn’t experience much of that besides a few kids begging on the streets. Tyler and I had a long talk about this boy who had come up to him asking for his food that he was eating for lunch and Tyler didn’t give it to him and he’s really regretting it now. We could go days without eating but this little boy probably didn’t have much longer, he probably already had been going days. If he was at the point of surrendering his pride to beg, he probably really needed that food. And it made me think about bartering with these vendors, I wouldn’t pay 200 Namibian dollars and would make them lower it to 100- that’s 10 dollars. What is that to me? But it means so much to them. I know I was getting ripped off but maybe they really needed it. And I just go spend that 10 dollars on alcohol later that night? It could have maybe gone so much further for one of them. I guess that’s just like giving to the homeless in America. You just never really know.

On a lighter note- Tyler might have been the funniest thing I’ve ever seen tonight. He was so drunk he didn’t even realize he had gotten on the ship and when we woke him up he thought he was still on his tour bus. Ah gosh we got some of it on video but it was hilarious.

Bye bye Namibia! Only a day at sea and then we’re in Cape Town, so freaking excited!
Our global studies professor told us that if you liked Namibia, you will love South Africa, and if you loved Namibia, you will be blown away by South Africa. I cannot wait. Plus tomorrow is Taco Tuesday and that means so much to this ship, we’ve been begging for it. Wahooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment